Competenz is an industry training organisation developing careers across 37 varied industries in New Zealand, with more than 20,000 learners gaining qualifications and developing skills through their programmes. Competenz offers training and apprenticeships from engineering and related trades to transport to printing, fashion and communications.
Competenz manages and delivers the Apprentice Training New Zealand (ATNZ) apprentice programme. ATNZ is the country's largest employer of engineering and mechanical trades apprentices.
Are you a hands-on learner who wants to make or fix stuff? ATNZ have a career path for you.
Apprentice Training New Zealand (ATNZ) is New Zealand's largest employer of mechanical engineering apprentices. They have more than 440 apprentices on their books and take on more than 100 new apprentices every year.
ATNZ can place you in a job, they will cover the qualification cost and they will make sure you are safe and learning on the job. Most important, they will pay you while you’re training.
What do you need to do?
As well as being practical and hands-on, you need to:
- commit to spending the next 3-4 years earning and learning
- have achieved NCEA Level 2 in Maths and English;
- have a current full or restricted NZ driver licence;
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident; and
- be ready to undergo aptitude, medical and drug testing as part of the recruitment process.
ATNZ manage apprenticeships in
- Fitting & machining
- General engineering
- Maintenance engineering
- Refrigeration & air conditioning
- Heating, ventilating & air conditioning
- Fire protection
Download the ATNZ brochure
Training on-the-job has added benefits
Training in the workplace with the nationally recognised qualifications Competenz supports is an effective way to build skills. Employees:
- learn using their workplace equipment and processes – so the learning’s relevant to the business they work in
- gain skills that meet industry standards and qualifications that are recognised across New Zealand
- learn in the workplace – meaning few absences and little downtime.
Competenz organises qualifications in these industries:
- Food & Beverage
- Printing, packaging, signmaking
- Textiles, apparel & laundry