Your parents and your student loans and allowances

Parents usually need to help with your application if: 


  • You are under 18 and applying for a Student Loan 
  • You are applying for a Student Allowance.

If you’re under 18 when you apply for a student loan, you need to have your parents sign their contract to give their consent to you taking out the loan from the government. Once they have agreed and signed, they won’t need to do anything else. They are not guaranteeing your student loan, and because it’s in your name, you are responsible for paying it back, not them.  

Of course you may have the best sort of relationships and situations and your parents actually do help with your loan repayments.    

If you are applying for a Student Allowance – the living allowance that does not need to be paid back – your parents will need to tell Study Link what their income is. If your parents combined income is over $55,000 in the year you are applying, the level of allowance available will reduce. If their combined income is over $91,500, no Student Allowance will be available to you.     

You can use this handy parental income calculator to give you an idea of what you can get.

Who is a parent? A parent can be a birth parent, a step-parent, a caregiver or any person acting as your parent.  

Parent's notes: 

  • If your son or daughter is 16 or 17, doesn't qualify for a student allowance and is living away from home and studying on a tertiary course, you may be able to get an Away from Home Allowance from Work and Income. More about the Away from Home Allowance.
  • If your son or daughter is under 24 when they apply for their Student Allowance, you need to tell Study Link your income. Study Link use all income both parents receive to calculate the student allowance your child could potentially get.  
  • You usually need to provide evidence for this income. You are able to do this by checking each of the circumstances listed on the Student Allowance forms for parents page and send forms for all the circumstances that apply to you and your child’s application. 
  • If you have more than one child studying at the same time you can complete one form for all children. 

Here’s how your income affects the Student Allowance: 

If you receive over $55,027.96 a year, the student allowance your child could get is reduced. 

Your child can’t get a student allowance if you receive more than: 

  • $84,163.86 gross, if your child lives with you while they study 
  • $91,448.30 gross, if your child doesn’t live with you while they study. 

If you live in a separate household from your child’s other parent, they don't test $3,400 of your total combined income. If you support other full-time students aged 16 to 23, for each of those students they don't test $7,000 of your total combined income. 

  • Please note that your son or daughter need to approve you as their agent in order for Study Link to be able to discuss or get any information about their Student Allowance or Student Loan. 


More in this category: « Understanding Income Tax 

Find out more about managing your money