Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat… raise your hand if you’ve got an account with at least one. There’s no denying social media has taken over our lives… and jobs.
By Pritha, September 2018
Jobs, I hear you say? Yes, friends, jobs. While olden day marketing slowly fades into the background, the new kid on the block builds its kingdom- and you could be a part of it.
What exactly is a Social Media Manager?
Basically, a Social Media Manager oversees a company’s social media presence. That means that every company Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Facebook page you see is run by somebody who’s getting paid to upload photos, captions and statuses to help sell stuff.
Daily tasks do vary though, so don’t think you can post a few photos and go home. Managing a company’s presence also includes handling customer complaints and questions, researching inspiration and planning events.
Zero to hero… getting started
- The first step to working in social media is to join it. This may sound obvious, but it's crucial to establish an online presence in as many platforms as you can so you’re able to advertise your workplace and its products to a wide range of people (on a different, work profile that is! Remember to always keep personal profiles clean and professional). Working with social media is different to using it yourself- whether you prefer Facebook or Twitter doesn’t matter- it’s about reaching as many people as you can.
- Practice! Using social media as a marketing tool means you can’t take an average photo and be done with it. You’re being paid to make the product look as appealing as possible and be seen quickly. The catchier, the better!
- Don’t be boring. Getting a job as a social media manager is serious business and you need to show you’re able to think outside the box. Funk up your CV with visual aids and show your future boss how unique you are.
- Know your stuff. Familiarise yourself with the audience you’re wanting to reach and make connections to get there. Getting people to see your posts doesn’t happen overnight. Put in some work, schmooze the big names and hashtag, hashtag, hashtag!
Jobs in social media management is a new domain, so specific qualifications are few and far between. While not all jobs will require you to have a qualification (sometimes your proven online presence may be enough), Unitec (Auckland) is offering a course designed to get your foot in the door. Find out more here!
A degree in marketing also wouldn’t hurt. Head to your desired university to find out more.
People that thrive in social media management have…
- Excellent communication and writing skills that don’t discriminate. You need to reach a wide range of people and grammar mistakes aren’t the way to do it!
- Attention to detail. Overseeing a company’s online presence is a big responsibility and there’s no room for error. Plus, eye catching photos don’t take themselves!
- A thick skin. Dealing with complaints and comments online can be tough. Remember it’s not aimed at you and to report any abuse you see.
- Passion! Marketing is so much more effective when it’s done authentically. Believe in what you do- it will make all the difference!
- Fantastic computer and phone skills. Obviously.
Want to hear more?
Enticed by the possibility of becoming a social media manager? Why wouldn’t you be? Head to the following links to find out more and chase your social media dreams!
Interview with a social media manager- https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/527/60-Second-Interview%C2%A0-Social-Media-Manager
Pay scale and detailed job description- https://www.payscale.com/research/NZ/Job=Social_Media_Manager/Salary