Open Days give you a taste of student life and can help make your tertiary study decisions. These SchoolLeaver tips can help make Open Days (or any institution visits) really work for you.
- Plan your day
- Shortlist your choices – you can’t go to every open day.
- Sort your travel/accommodation plans early.
- Discuss your plans with your parents and career adviser – they can really help.
- Come prepared
- Work out what you want to see and register if they ask for this.
- Download open day programmes to sort your schedule for info sessions, accommodation tours etc.
- Bring a family member or a mate for company and a second opinion.
- Talk to the right people
- Ask questions at the information sessions – you are potentially worth lots of money to the institution and they will happily answer.
- Speak to the student ambassadors – they know all the best stuff already, and how the money thing works.
- Explore the campus
- Check out the facilities, explore the buildings you may be studying in and how you will get to and from classes.
- Explore the accommodation options– could you live here? Can you see yourself living and studying here for the next few years?
- Chill a bit and enjoy yourself
- Plan to make a day of it with your friends and family. Once you’ve found out what you need to know, enjoy the day and the campus experience.
NZ university Open Days to come this term
Saturday 2 August, 9.00am – 2.30pm Manawatu campus
Saturday 12 August, 10.00am – 4.00pm Albany Campus
Friday 1 September, 9.00am – 3.30pm, Wellington Campus
Friday 1 September, 8.00am – 5.00pm, Kelburn Campus
Auckland University of Technology
Saturday 2 September, 9.00am – 5.00pm, City Campus
University of Auckland
Saturday 2 September, 9.00am – 3.30pm, City Campus