Still not sorted and wondering what to do?
What are you going to do when you leave school? It’s the dreaded question you are likely to be asked more often in your final stages of school than any other. Everyone has a different answer.
For plenty of school leavers the answer is not so simple. If this is you, don’t worry - you're in the right place! SchoolLeaver has stacks of resources available to help you choose your pathway once you leave school.
We know working out what you would like to do after school can be difficult. Before you get too tangled up, it is worth remembering two things:
- Firstly, not that many school leavers actually know exactly what they want to do. A lot will change direction, just like the many adults who change careers as they find what they enjoy and what they want from life.
- Secondly – because you can (and likely will) change your career and direction, the decision you make now is not one you will be stuck with forever. It’s okay to change your mind, plans, courses or career as your own life changes.
So, if you are not sorted yet, don’t worry - you're not alone.
There’s lots of help to make it easy for you!
We’ve got plenty of useful information and links here at SchoolLeaver, and we can guide you to the best advice and resources to help you. Info on courses, jobs, places to live, scholarships, student loans, apprenticeships and just about everything you need to help choose a direction to head in.
It is also worth remembering that everyone – your parents, teachers, friends and family – all want you to make the decision that is right for you. They are there to support you and be a sounding board for your thoughts and plans. Use them.
Keep these thoughts in mind
- When you get the dreaded question, don't make a call just so you can give someone the answer. Tell them you are still working on your options.
- Just because your friends are studying or going off to work or a gap year, you don't have to follow them. If you really don’t think it’s you, don’t do it.
- Keep thinking, planning, researching, asking and looking. You're going to get there.